Recruiting Trustees, Yellow Earth Theatre
18 August 2017
Yellow Earth Theatre is seeking dynamic and committed individuals to join our Board of Trustees.
We are preparing to enter an exciting new phase as an Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation (NPO) with secure funding until March 2022. We are looking for new Trustees keen to help us forge new partnerships, support fundraising and drive forward a far reaching and ambitious new artistic programme.
About Yellow Earth
Yellow Earth Theatre is a British East Asian* (BEA) touring theatre company based in London. Since our beginnings in 1995 our work continues to be informed by the rich, diverse perspectives and experiences of a rapidly growing and far reaching BEA community in the UK.
We identify and invest in BEA emerging and established actors, writers and directors and nurture and champion those artists, supporting them to make ground-breaking work that will increase the visibility and profile of BEA theatre in this country and beyond.
Through our touring productions, staged playreadings and extensive outreach work we engage and develop new audiences. Through our annual summer school, Yellow Earth Academy and our Professional Writer’s Programme we work to support and inspire the next generation of BEA artists.
This autumn we will mount Typhoon, a festival of staged readings of the best new plays from East Asian playwrights in the UK and across the world.
In February 2018, in conjunction with the Manchester Royal Exchange Theatre, we will mount and tour an exciting new play inspired by the bestselling book Sweet Mandarin by Helen Tse
Then from April 2018 we will embark on a brand new four-year programme of developing and touring new plays, outreach and education work.
About the Role
We are looking for people with a range of skills and experience but applications from people with strategic fundraising and business development experiences are particularly welcome. We recognise that different candidates will bring different skills and experience to the board so we encourage anyone to apply who meets some of the criteria below:
- A genuine passion and interest in our work
- A willingness to learn of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a trustee
- A willingness to act as an ambassador for YET to potential funders, the business community, and/or local BEA communities
Skills & Experience:
- Passionate and knowledgeable about theatre
- Experience of working within the arts
- Knowledge of charitable governance structures
- Ability to review and interrogate financial reports
- Strategic planning skills
- Fundraising expertise
- Business development – experience in business development planning and strategies
- Strong connections in/knowledge of a BEA community
- Board Responsibilities All board members are expected to offer the benefit of their knowledge and contribute to the duties of the Board to:
- Give clear strategic direction and set overall policy
- Regularly review Yellow Earth’s policies and procedures
- Define goals and set targets for the organisation and evaluate performance against these targets
- Ensure Yellow Earth complies with the requirements of Companies House and the Charity Commission, employment law and other relevant legislation
- Appoint the Artistic Director and General Manager, and monitor their performance
- Establish senior staff appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary procedures as required.
We particularly welcome applications from women and people of a BME background.
How to Apply
Please send a short CV together with a covering letter explaining clearly why you would like to be a trustee of Yellow Earth and what you could bring to the role.
Send to Chris Corner, General Manager [email protected] Deadline 29 September 2017
Prospective board members will be invited to informally meet the Chair and the Artistic Director. They may also be asked to attend a Board meeting as an observer and meet the other members before a commitment is made to join the Board.
* *We use the term British East Asian to mean people of the following descent;
Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, North Korea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and their diasporas. .