Hopscotch Seed Commission with Camden People's Theatre
21 July 2016
Camden People's Theatre: Hopscotch Seed Commission
We are offering a new seed commission to artists from a South Asian background to create a new ‘scratch’ performance (up to 25 minutes long) in partnership with Hopscotch Asian Women’s Centre. As part of the commission, Hopscotch Asian Women’s Centre can provide testimonies from victims of domestic violence, as well as members for interviewing. We are looking for an artist / company to work with these testimonies as part of the development of their piece.
Each artist will receive £750 towards producing the work. These commissions are being offered specifically to those from a South Asian background in recognition of the fact these artists are currently underrepresented in contemporary theatre
About Hopscotch Asian Women’s Centre
Hopscotch are focussed on enabling the Asian community living in and around Camden to actively participate in society and achieve their aspirations.
Hopscotch AWC provides support services for Asian women and their families on a wide range of issues including domestic violence, employment, housing and welfare benefits. We raise awareness of important issues among local Asian communities, enhance opportunity and influence mainstream policy and practice.
What we’re looking for:
- New work based on the theme of domestic violence
- Unconventional and innovative work
- Devised, self-made and solo work
- Interactive work
- Accessible work, suitable for a broad audience
What we’re offering:
- £750 seed commission
- Marketing support, inclusion on website, social media activity
- Technician to support get-in, and to operate your show (please bear in mind that we anticipate scratch commissions to require minimal technical support). There will be no tech support for the conference performance.
- Ongoing development opportunities – we are keen that the commissions are the beginning of a long term relationship with the artists support, and we’ll do what we can to help you develop your work further
- Rehearsal space, subject to availability
The artist awarded the seed commission will be invited to perform a work in progress version of the performance at Hopscotch Asian Women’s Centre annual conference, taking place at Ort House in Camden on 22/23 September as well as a work in progress performance at CPT on Fri 11 or Sat 12 November as part of CPT’s autumn season.
Find out more here.